This blog is dedicated to the New Writing Series and creative talents which grace the readings during each presentation. I aim to write my thoughts and interpretations of the New Writing Series readings, enjoy!

Monday, April 7, 2008

Some Answers...

The flarf poetry movement is the first poet of the 21st century according to wikepedia.

I first heard about at the New Writing Series. I think I’ve said that before. According to wikepedia poet Gary Sullivan had made up the term in late 2000 when he submitted deliberately bad poems to a poetry contest to Poetry.com, to test its supposed standards for excellence. (wikepedia)

Old School Flarf is also marked by a certain distinctive tonal dialect. In Rodney Koeneke’s first reading, he initially droned out words like they were being played over a video in slow motion. This was the first time I saw a poet draw out words like that, and I think the audience was just as baffled as I was.

Poets do indeed use the Google and other search engines for ideas for their poems, but there are no limitations I guess as poets pose their own ideas for flarf nonsense.

Most flarf poems are also intentionally offensive and sound like gibberish or nonsense but to me I think it’s interesting. I’m not sure how to find these search phrases though, I need to do some more research first.

No comments: