This blog is dedicated to the New Writing Series and creative talents which grace the readings during each presentation. I aim to write my thoughts and interpretations of the New Writing Series readings, enjoy!

Sunday, April 6, 2008

What makes Flarf Poetry?

I've been trying to write Flarf poetry, but I don't think I have the creative insight to mend a poem that uses the subtle witty wit of Mr. Friedlander, the totally obscure flarf topics of Rod Smith and Mel Nichols or the intense creative energy of Rodney Koeneke.

Flarf poetry can be characterized as a contemporary innovative poetry movement, which attempts to explore ironically inappropriate language, that is the definition I pieced together from Wikepedia.

The Flarf language spans from bizarre word arrangements of returned search phrases run through Google to made up ones from the poets who write them. Flarf is also described by poet Mel Nichols as “dismissed language,” which is discomforting and humorous.

I have not mentioned Rod Smith or Mel Nichols yet, but they presented my first glimpse into Flarf poetry during the first staged reading of the semester during Valentine's Day.

Flarf poems by Smith included, "Cheney puppy killer," and "Osama been drinking," and Nichols also contributed innovative flarf poems with "James Joyce Gone Wild," "Pope my Ride," and "Ben Franklin's Man-Boobs."

Obviously these poets are using the Flarf language to comment on popular culture, but I wanted to go more simple to start out my own flarf writing.

During the last reading, I was thinking about some obscure searches I could possibly write a poem on. The phrase drunken battleships popped into my mind. I was inspired by Koeneke's "Pizza Kitty," it was a comical sarcastic story of a cat ordering pizza, so I thought about a phrase that was just ridiculous, so the phrase drunken battleships popped in my mind. What am I supposed to do with this phrase?

So I decided to search the phrase on Google. I found that drunken battleships is actually a binge drinking game. How the game works is, when your battleship gets hit, while playing that Sink My Battleship game, you drink your preferable intake of alcohol. I think this could be an interesting flarf poem, but I don't know how to get started. If anyone is interested perhaps let me know if I'm on the right track, and if I could work out a flarf poem out of this. I'll brainstorm some ideas and post it in a weeks time, I hope I don't embarrass myself.

I think Flarf can take on into acting and even improv. I read the language is already influencing plays and other texts. Imagine flarf monologues at Broadway? I can only dream.

No comments: